Amazing Career Journeys
Ben enjoyed model making as a kid, so it seemed natural for him to study something hands on such as mechanical engineering. After some iron work and blacksmithing he found his career in the defence industry, working for ASC on submarine acoustics: it’s his job to keep the submarines quiet.
Questions & Answers
- What is the best aspect about your work?
- Engineering massive and ridiculously complex machines using state of the art technology, and being really well paid for it!
- What is the most challenging aspect about your work?
- Keeping an eye on both technical quality and delivery to time and budget.
- What high school and/or Uni/TAFE did you go to?
- Pembroke School / University of Adelaide
- What did you study in further education?
- Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical), Masters of Marine Engineering (ongoing).
- What is the best career advice you can give to someone is interested in going down a similar path?
- Go for it, especially if playing with technology is something you really enjoy! The study can be challenging, but once you get through the job is so interesting and varied it’ll keep you captivated for life.